We track and analyze federal regulatory decisions that impact public health and the environment, explaining their implications, and identifying alternatives that would better promote the public interest.
During the Trump presidency, we monitored the administration’s environmental rollbacks. Our Regulatory Rollback Tracker has dozens of posts with descriptions of the rules that were targeted and our EPA Mission Tracker analyzed how the administration worked to dismantle the agency’s capacity to fulfill its public health and environmental mission. We’ve tracked these efforts, and analyzed them in-depth.
President Biden took office in January 2021 with the most ambitious climate agenda ever articulated by an incoming president. He got right to work demonstrating that his “whole of government” approach would be more than just talk. EELP analyzes how the legacy of the Trump administration’s actions will impact Biden’s ambitions and will track how well the new administration meets its goals.
The Biden Presidency
Mapping Biden’s Climate Agenda: Week One EOs *Coming Soon*
President Biden wasted no time in outlining a plan for addressing Trump’s legacy of undermining public health and environmental protections and kicking off the “whole of government” effort to achieve the ambitious environmental and climate goals set during his campaign. He signed multiple Executive Orders and presidential memoranda in the first week that initiate activity in numerous federal agencies. Together, these executive actions kick off an abundance of work within federal agencies ranging from reviewing, revising, and rescinding rules to researching and recommending specific steps to achieve the goals laid out in these directives. EELP prepared resources to help you understand these directives and track the agency work that results.
Post-election but before President Biden took office, EELP looked ahead at the incoming administration’s agenda to create a useful set of lists organizing potential executive branch actions with the Biden campaign’s stated goals. We also organized some of our analysis work that could help inform those goals on this page.
Trump Era Analysis
We track around 80 environmental and energy regulatory rollbacks. In each post, we describe the rules being targeted, what’s at stake, and the latest updates. Click here for our Regulatory Rollback Tracker.
We analyzed the Trump EPA’s efforts to undermine the agency’s capacity to act in four key areas: science, public health, accountability, and enforcement and compliance. Click here for the EPA Mission Tracker.
Legal Analysis Pieces on Trump-era Deregulation
In addition to the tracker projects, EELP analyzed the actions taken by the Trump administration and how they would impact environmental law and policy outcomes. Click here to see the sets of materials created in response to the Trump administration’s environmental deregulatory agenda.
- February 4, 2021 Update: E-Bikes Rules Finalized with Few Changes, Peter Daniels, JD 2021
- January 28, 2021 EPA’s Lead and Copper Rule: Examining Challenges and Prospects, Daniel Eyal, JD 2023
- January 25, 2021 Section 401 of the Clean Water Act from Trump to Biden, Peter Kalicki, JD 2022
- January 13, 2021 Deconstructing Environmental Deregulation Under the Trump Administration, Hannah Perls
- January 12, 2021 New Cost-Benefit Rule Hampers EPA’s Ability to Regulate Harmful Air Pollutants
- November 19, 2020 Looking Ahead and Priorities for a Biden Administration – New Resources from EELP
- November 19, 2020 CleanLaw: Next Generation Environmental Regulations, Joe Goffman interviews Cynthia Giles
- November 14, 2020 President-Elect Biden Supports a “Carbon Enforcement Mechanism” – Could that Mean a Price on Carbon?, Martin Levy, JD 2020
- November 12, 2020 EPA Undermines its Own Environmental Justice Programs, Hannah Perls
- November 3, 2020 Forest Service Proposal Deemphasizes Environmental Concerns to Streamline Oil and Gas Leasing Process, Lindsay Williams, JD 2022
- October 29, 2020 On the 2020 Presidential Election and Our Work
- October 22, 2020 Weighing the Risks of Using the CRA to Restore EPA’s Methane Standards, Ari Sillman, JD 2021
- October 15, 2020 CleanLaw: Department of the Interior under the Trump Administration
- October 15, 2020 Managing Public Lands under the Trump Administration and Beyond