The Environmental and Energy Law Program provides innovative, rigorous legal analysis to:
- Facilitate the transition to a low-carbon, sustainable future
- Mitigate the disruptive effects of climate change
- Protect public health and welfare from environmental degradation
- Promote sustainability and climate adaptation
- Ensure environmental justice and a just transition for communities
Legal and regulatory systems are the foundation for the clean energy transition. Outdated legal and regulatory systems can be an obstacle to technology deployment, and new policy ideas rely on law for execution. We identify durable policies and strategies for policymakers, the private sector, and environmental NGOs that will facilitate the transition to a low-carbon, sustainable future.
We track and analyze policy developments, legal actions, and court decisions. We educate policymakers, the private sector, and advocates on the legal implications of these actions, and we educate the public by serving as an expert resource for media and providing credible, accessible analyses in online platforms.
We train students to make practical contributions to environmental law and policy.