The Environmental and Energy Law Program provides innovative, rigorous legal analysis to:
- Facilitate the transition to a low-carbon, sustainable future;
- Mitigate the disruptive effects of climate change;
- Protect public health and welfare from environmental degradation;
- Promote sustainability and climate adaptation; and
- Ensure environmental justice and a just transition for communities.
We track and analyze policy developments, legal actions, and court decisions, primarily in the United States. We provide legal solutions to conflicts between different levels of government, public and private sectors, and stakeholders. We identify strategies that improve environmental outcomes and overcome obstacles to environmental protection.
We educate experts, decision makers, and advocates who seek to address climate change and its effects, counter public health threats posed by pollution, and steward America’s natural resources. We educate the public by serving as an expert resource for media and providing credible, accessible analysis in online platforms.
We conduct our research with a balance of optimism and realism. We train students to make practical contributions to environmental law and policy.